Gem Diamonds Uncovers Two 160-Plus Carat Diamonds

February 14, 2014

Gem Diamonds Uncovers Two 160-Plus Carat Diamonds

February 14, 2014 Alex


Gem Diamonds Ltd. hit the diamond jackpot by uncovering a pair of large rough diamonds from their Letšeng mine in the Kingdom of Lesotho.

The diamonds weigh in at 162.06 and 161.74 carats. The 162.06-carat rough diamond is a Type II while the smaller stone is a Type I.

The company describes the diamonds as “exceptional” and in “largely undamaged condition” and announces they will be sold at the mining company’s tender this month.


The 162 ct. Type II diamond.

In October, Gem Diamonds found a 12.47-carat blue rough diamond at Letšeng which sold for $7.5 million, or $603,047 per carat. The mining company also sold an 82-carat white diamond at the same sale.

London-based Gem Diamonds owns 70 percent of the Letšeng mine while the Government of the Kingdom of Lesotho owns the remaining 30 percent. The mine is the highest dollar-per-carat kimberlite pipe in the world. De Beers operated the mine from 1977 to 1982

Since acquiring the mine, Gem Diamonds has uncovered four of the top 20 largest white gem quality diamonds on record.



Connect with GemFind:

GemFind on Facebook . GemFind on Twitter .  Gemfind on Pinterest .  Gemfind on Google+


, , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Contact GemFind

We welcome you to contact us for more information
about any of our products or services.

Fill the forms to signup